One of the reasons I’ve heard people don’t use Canva templates is that they fear their graphics will end up looking like everyone else’s.
Of course, that’s a valid concern to have. None of us want our businesses to get lost on the internet! That would really suck!
But there’s just no denying the amount of time you’ll save by using Canva templates.
So how exactly can you get the most out of using Canva templates while still making sure that your visuals stand out from the next business out there?
You apply your brand to every part of your template!
In this post I’m going to break down my customization process so you can easily create unique graphics for a consistent brand look…
How to transform any Canva templates into unique graphics for a consistent brand look
1. Write your copy beforehand
You may not realize it, but text plays a big role in the way a graphic turns out. If your copy is too long, too short or doesn’t flow for the reader to easily digest the information, then your graphic won’t serve its purpose of getting your message across. This is why writing your copy prior to customizing will make all the difference.
Having your copy ready beforehand will make it easier for you to decide on a template suitable for your needs. This means less changes to make on your part as you can simply pop the copy into the text boxes.
Your message is the very first step to creating unique graphics for your business, so be sure to keep it interesting and to the point, boosting your chances of people actually stopping to take a closer look!
2. Customize text with your brand font
Once you’ve added your copy into the designated text areas, you can then adjust the font styling with your brand fonts. Using your brand fonts will instantly change the look of the Canva template, getting you another step closer to creating unique graphics for your business!
Don’t be afraid to play around with the font weight, size, colour and case so you can emphasize words or phrases that you want to draw attention to.
If you have a combination of serif, sans-serif and script fonts in your branding, this would be a great way to make use of them too. Just be careful not to go overboard with the different fonts as it can quickly lead to a design that feels too busy, making it difficult for the reader to know where to focus.
Applying the font hierarchy of your brand correctly will ensure that you create graphics that guide the eye the way you want, giving you a better chance of delivering your message successfully.
3. Change all design elements with your colour palette
Changing the colours of the elements that make up a template will instantly change the look of the graphic, which is why it’s so important to customize them all.
One of the best tips I can give you when using Canva templates is to take note of the original shading applied to the template you want to customize.
How are the darker colours applied?
How is the accent colour being used?
Where are the lighter colours being applied in the graphic?
Replicating the use of colour shading with your own brand colours is a great way to ensure that you get a similar look to the original canva templates while still creating something unique for your business.
Be sure to keep a lookout for all the elements in the template so you don’t miss anything that needs to be changed with your brand colours. This includes backgrounds, text, buttons, patterns, lines, etc.
4. Add your own on-brand photos in the image placeholders
A clear giveaway that you are using a template, is if you don’t change out the images used in the original design. So be sure to replace the photos in the image placeholders with your own photos.
That being said, it’s important to remember that using off-brand stock photos for your graphics will compromise the integrity of your brand – no matter how brilliant the templates are!
Yet another reason why I love Canva so much – you get instant access to a library of stock photos that you can add to your templates to create unique, on-brand graphics for your business.
A handy tip to find on-brand stock photos inside the Canva library is to use your brand words as keywords when searching. You can also use adjectives that describe your brand vibe, the names of colours from your palette, or scenes your target audience would find appealing. Example, if your target audience is yoga instructors, you could search for “woman meditating at the beach”.
Be sure to stick to photos that compliment your brand instead of images that don’t fit with the rest of your aesthetics. This will ensure that you create a consistent, cohesive look with your visuals that’s unique to your biz.
5. Make use of on-brand stickers, animations, patterns or textures
Changing all of the above will ensure that the graphics you create are transformed into something completely new and different from the original Canva template you started off with.
But, to take your graphics to an entirely other level, you can add a few extra bits to make your visuals stand out from everyone else using the same template.
Here are a few ways you can do this:
- Add an on-brand sticker to your graphic to infuse some more of your brand vibe into your final visuals. This is a quick and easy trick for a fun little touch to an otherwise generic looking graphic. If you have custom icons in your brand, this is the perfect place to make use of them in your visuals. Or, if you’d like to use something from the Canva template library, you could do that as well. There is a vast variety to choose from to fit any style, and you can also choose between animated or static stickers. Just be sure to customize them with your own colours to keep your graphics consistent and on-brand.
- Add some movement with animations. Canva animations is another simple way to turn a template into a unique graphic, and there are many different styles to choose from. Play around with the options available and make changes to the intensity and directions for a fun graphic to get your audience to stop their scroll and see what you have to say!
- If your brand assets include a custom pattern or texture, why not add them into your graphics? A simple change like switching out a solid background for a textured one can make a huge difference in the look of your final design. And, repeating the use of these elements as much as possible will be another way for you to stand out from everyone else so your audience immediately recognizes your content in their feeds!
You will not go wrong by adding Canva templates to your business toolbox, as it will save you so much time when creating graphics for your content and offers. Eliminating the need to create graphics from scratch, especially when design is not your best skill, will make it easier for you to share more about your business so you can increase your chances of getting in front of the right people.
Keeping these 5 simple customization tips in mind when using Canva templates will really help you create unique, on-brand graphics for your business so you can maintain a consistent look online.
Of course, all of this becomes a thousand times easier (with a bigger chance of doing so successfully) when you have your brandboard in place!
Thankfully, if you need help putting your brandboard together, I’ve got you!
Simply hit the button below to take the 2 minute Dreamy Biz Brand Quiz and get a fully populated brandboard template which you can customize for your business right in Canva! The results will also give you a detailed report to help you understand the chosen assets so you make good design choices for your brand.